Small, shiny and dark purple in color, elderberries pack a punch when it comes to health benefits. This type of fruit, known as a “superfruit,” is often underestimated but deserves the spotlight for its nutrition and immune support. Elder Farms, which offers locally sourced, environmentally sustainable elderberry products, understands the medicinal value of plant-based medicine. Let’s take a closer look at some of the top health benefits of elderberry:
1. Boost Immunity – The anti-viral properties of elderberry help fight cold and flu germs by providing strong immune support.
2. Increase Skin Health – Vitamin A helps reduce skin spots and wrinkles, plus flavonoids help reduce acne.
3. Lower Risk of Heart Disease – Elderberries contain a type of antioxidant called flavonoids. By taking these regularly, the flavonoids can lessen your risk for developing heart disease.
4. Improve Nutrition – In addition to providing antioxidants, elderberry is an excellent source of essential vitamins, such as vitamins A and C, iron, calcium and vitamin B6.
5. Provide a Rich Source of Anthocyanins – Elderberry is full of bioflavonoids called anthocyanins, which are the nutrients that give elderberry its dark purple/black color. Anthocyanins may help with a variety of health issues such as relieving stress, combatting cancer, fighting inflammation and balancing blood sugar levels.
6. Reduce Allergies – Elderberry is anti-inflammatory and anti-catarrhal, which helps fight allergies.
If you’re interested in learning more about elderberry-based immune and skin products, visit elderfarms.com or schedule an in-person tour of the farm!